Yale offers its students many options when it comes to funding their research. Some of these are intended primarily for Archaeological Studies students, including those listed below.

Albers-Coe-Hazard Applications

A common application form for the Albers, Coe and Hazard Funds can be downloaded here. Please note that all applications must include approval of academic advisor or DUS, as well as an itemized budget and brief but comprehensive project description and justification. Applications are accepted annually beginning on February 21. Deadline is March 21, and decisions are announced by April 1.

The Josef Albers Traveling Fellowships

Josef Albers was a well-known modernist painter and theorist who was chair of the Yale Department of Design from 1950–1958. The Josef Albers Foundation established the Albers Traveling Fellowship to be used for awards to Yale students (graduate and undergraduate), post-doctoral fellows, and junior faculty for travel and research expenses in connection with scholarly research involving pre-Columbian art and artifacts of Mesoamerica, Central America, and South America.

The Michael Coe Fieldwork Fund

Michael D. Coe is the Charles J. MacCurdy Professor Emeritus of Anthropology at Yale. Renowned for his decades of research, especially that on the Maya and Olmec civilizations, Coe retired in 1994. The Coe Fieldwork Fund was established primarily for undergraduate Archaeological Studies majors seeking to fulfill their summer fieldwork requirement, although others, including M.A. and Ph.D. students, may be considered.

The Augusta Hazard Fund

The Augusta Hazard Fund is a research fellowship available to Ph.D. graduate students who plan foreign travel for archaeological research during the summer. Grants, which are intended to help defray travel expenses, ordinarily range from $1000–$1500.

Forms & Links

Yale International Travel Policy

Travel Policy for students are available on the Yale and the World website. Students must register their travel with Yale through this website. All U.S. Citizens and permanent residents must complete the attached W-9 form [modified]. All payments will be processed through Accounts Payable. The Internal Revenue Service has a publication that is very helpful to students dealing with scholarships and fellowship taxable income. The pamphlet is Publication 970, Tax Benefits for Education. IRS website. In addition, Publication 519, U.S. Tax Guide for International Students is available on the following website. Any questions can be directed to the IRS at 1-800-829-1040.